We’re excited to say that on December 18, the developer and the Y submitted a re-zoning application for our planned new Kingston Road YMCA. This new application is to build a 35,000 – 47,000 sq ft YMCA on the first level of a six story building, with condominiums above. Built with top environmental sustainability measures and following the City of Toronto’s Green Standards, this Centre of Community will include a gym, pool, group fitness areas, child minding, as well as spaces for youth and community programs. The Y has already started to examine the specific needs of this neighbourhood through a community engagement process that connects with the local residents.
Statistics show that this neighbourhood has high rates of youth unemployment and inactivity. The new Kingston Road YMCA will offer programs and services to help combat these issues and provide opportunities for growth and community involvement.
Snapshot of the neighbourhood:
- 36% have a weak sense of community belonging
- 17.5% of youth are unemployed
- 53% of people are physically inactive
- We haven't started construction yet! Until we do, check out what's going on at the Kingston Road Y.
- On December 18, zoning was submitted to the City to build this incredible new Centre of Community.
- Learn more about our plans for the Kingston Road community, and the GTA, in the Toronto Star.
- Centre opening targeted for 2017.