Vanauley Street YMCA
Our incredible new Vanauley Street YMCA will be located at 7 Vanauley Street, near Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue as is currently being renovated into an 11,400 sq. ft. property. This incredible new facility will be home to such supportive programs and services for at-risk youth as a drop-in centre, medical and counselling services, as well as an emergency shelter, It will also offer employment services for youth and the surrounding Alexander Park community. The new Vanauley Street YMCA is expected to open Fall 2014.
With 66.8% of the homeless population of the City of Toronto located in the Toronto East-York Community Council District (which includes the Kensington/Chinatown neighbourhood), the Y has a unique opportunity deepen its impact in this neighbourhood by offering a safe place for people to connect with the programs and services they need to reduce the effects of poverty.
- the overall number of homeless people in Toronto remains largely unchanged between 2006 (5,052) to 2009 (5,086)
- the number of youth staying in shelters increased by 16.2% from 2006 to 2009
- 51.8% of homeless people said they needed at least one addiction, health or mental health related service in order to help them find housing
- after shelters, drop-ins remain the service most used by homeless people (51.6%)
- The countdown is on! We can hardly wait for the doors of our Vanauley Street YMCA expected to open this fall. Find out more.
- March 26 was the official groundbreaking for the Vanauley Street YMCA. Michael, a youth participant, shared his story. Read it here.
- Demolition and construction have started! We’re working on adding an additional 3,000 sq ft to move our shelter into the facility.
- Intact Foundation gives a generous gift of $500,000 to support the drop-in centre at Vanauley Street YMCA.
- Learn more about our plans for Vanauley Street, and our other new buildings in the Toronto Star.
- Opening targeted for 2014.