Cooper Koo Family ymca
This incredible new Centre of Community will become the heart of a new, developing neighbourhood after following the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games in 2015. Developed in partnership with Waterfront Toronto, Infrastructure Ontario and the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, the large, modern 70,000 YMCA Centre of Community will provide services and programs to support more than 8,000 people in a neighbourhood whose population is projected to increase 13.5% by 2020. Located at the corner of Front and Cherry Streets and built to LEED Gold (leadership in environmental and energy design) building standards, the facility will include spaces for youth and community activities, a gymnasium, swimming pool, an accessible green roof, and fitness studios and exercise areas.
As research shows, students who participate in regular physical activities also perform better in academics. Located right next to George Brown College’s first student residence, this perfect synergy will allow more young people in our community access vital YMCA programs that enable them to achieve physical, social, emotional and mental health.
The new Cooper Koo Family YMCA will also draw families into local networks to ensure a strong, healthy community for the future.
Snapshot of the surrounding neighbourhood:
- Mainly rental households
- 30% of families have children
- 41% belong to visible minority groups
- 34% of community are immigrants
Help us by investing today in our city’s future.
- It looks incredible! Check out the latest images of the new Cooper Koo Family YMCA here and here!
- On December 6, buildings in the Pan Am Village have been topped off and we were part of the celebration! Find out more.
- Learn more about this new, growing community here.
- Krystal Koo and Michael Cooper give $2 million to name the new Cooper Koo Family YMCA.
- Read more about our plans in the West Don Lands, and the rest of the GTA, in the Toronto Star.
- Centre opening targeted for July 2016
Cooper Koo Family YMCA - Construction, April 2014
Cooper Koo Family YMCA - The Future