This incredible new Centre of Community will become the heart of a new, developing neighbourhood after following the Pan Am/Parapan Am Games in 2015. Developed in partnership with Waterfront Toronto, Infrastructure Ontario and the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, the large, modern 82,000 YMCA Centre of Community will provide services and programs to support more than 8,000 people in a neighbourhood whose population is projected to increase 13.5% by 2020. Located at the corner of Front and Cherry Streets and built to LEED Gold (leadership in environmental and energy design) building standards, the facility will include spaces for youth and community activities, a gymnasium, swimming pool, an accessible green roof, and fitness studios and exercise areas.
The new Cooper Koo Family YMCA will also draw families into local networks to ensure a strong, healthy community for the future. Snapshot of the surrounding neighbourhood:
- Mainly rental households
- 30% of families have children
- 41% belong to visible minority groups
- 34% of community are immigrants
Help us by investing today in our city’s future.
- It looks incredible! Check out the latest images of the new Cooper Koo Family YMCA here and here!
- On December 6, buildings in the Pan Am Village have been topped off and we were part of the celebration! Find out more.
- Learn more about this new, growing community here.
- Krystal Koo and Michael Cooper give $2 million to name the new Cooper Koo Family YMCA.
- Read more about our plans in the West Don Lands, and the rest of the GTA, in the Toronto Star.
- Centre opening targeted for July 2016